Sunday, October 23, 2005

Premiership Weekend Roundup: October 22-23

Manchester United 1-1 Tottenham
Well, at least United didn't have anyone sent off this time. That's really the best thing I can say about the game. (That, and Paul Scholes' kids = diabetic coma-inducing cuteness.) Even the return of Wayne Rooney to the lineup couldn't help them much today. You know your attack is sputtering when Mikael Silvestre is your only goal-scorer.

I have to admit, though, that was a gorgeous free kick that Jermaine Jenas scored -- he had a good game all round, but I don't suppose it's enough for Sven to give him a chance for England. Paul Robinson was probably happy that Erikkson was off watching the debacle at Craven Cottage, rather than seeing him drop that howler.

Oh, and can anyone tell me what formation United were playing with? Because the Guardian listed it as 4-3-3, my friend Anthony claims it was the dreaded 4-5-1, but it looked like 4-4-2 to me, with Park and Fletcher on the wings, Scholes and Smith in the middle, and Rooney and Ven Nistelrooy up front. (At least until the last 10 minutes or so, when Sir Alex decided to take a page from Jose Mourinho's book and play 3-3-4. Didn't work nearly as well for United, unfortunately.)

Fulham 2-0 Liverpool
Ouch. That was just dire. How is it that I get sucked into rooting for a team (damn you, Champions League final video!) just as they turn into a flaming ball of crap? COME BACK, STEVIE G. I WILL EVEN FORGIVE YOU THE POPPED COLLARS.

Arsenal 1-0 Manchester City
Ok, seriously, what the hell was with that penalty? Even if it actually works and you score, you look like assholes. And if it fails spectacularly -- as it did here -- you look like even bigger assholes. Particularly when you're only up by one goal. If only City had been able to equalize -- now that would have been some delicious schadenfreude.

(Yes, I know that as a United fan, I'm not supposed to cheer for City. But I'll support just about anyone when they're playing Arsenal, with the possible exception of Chelsea.)

Everton 1-1 Chelsea
A weekend of "WTF" all around, as Chelsea -- who've beat everyone who's come at them this season -- failed to conquer Everton, who are languishing at the bottom of the table. I almost wish I'd watched this game now, but the prospect of 90 minutes on the treadmill (I don't get the channel it was shown on at home, but my gym does) and Jose Mourinho's carefully manicured stubble were not enough to get me off my couch. However, I would just like to say: HE WAS OFFSIDE. STOP YOUR FUCKING WHINING, JOSE.

Other Results
Aston Villa 0-2 Wigan
Blackburn 2-0 Birmingham
Portsmouth 1-2 Charlton
Bolton 2-0 West Bromwich Albion
West Ham 2-1 Middlesbrough
Newcastle 3-2 Sunderland

No comments: