Monday, August 28, 2006

Premiership Weekend Roundup: August 26-27

Liverpool 2 - 1 West Ham
For the second week in a row, the commentators were all surprised at Fabio Aurelio playing left back. Hello: he is, in fact, a wingback. The Liverpool website even has him listed as a defender. (Yes, I checked, because I am a dork.) It's not like Rafa randomly decided to play Peter Crouch at the back. Although maybe he should have, considering how well Liverpool have been dealing with crosses recently.

Also, I've started a new drinking game, where you do a shot every time Craig Bellamy is flagged offside. Or mouths off at the ref.

Watford 1 - 2 Manchester United
I know United weren't exactly fielding their strongest defence, but that's no excuse for how shaky they sometimes looked at the back -- against Watford, for god's sake. Wes Brown has reverted to being inept, and Mikael Silvestre balanced his goal by letting Watford through for the equalizer.

But on the plus side, the attack is still clicking, even without Rooney and Scholes. Michael Carrick had a solid debut game. And Ryan Giggs' season is off to a flying start -- as long as he doesn't tweak a hamstring yet again.

Manchester City 1 - 0 Arsenal
Somebody needs to remind Arsenal that the point of the game is to actually score goals, not to play keepaway on the edge of your opponents' 18-yard box.

Blackburn 0 - 2 Chelsea
I was wrong when I said before that Lampard can only score from deflections. He scores from penalties, too (unless it's the World Cup, that is). I haven't seen the game, so no word on whether Drogba's goal was a handball or not.

Other results
Charlton 2 - 0 Bolton
Fulham 1 - 0 Sheffield United
Tottenham 0 - 2 Everton
Aston Villa 2 - 0 Newcastle
Wigan 1 - 0 Reading

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog coz it makes me laugh. And as a male native of Manchester(yes a United fan) I can confirm that it is actually illegal to support United and Liverpool at the same time. Also, the term "footie" is frowned upon in certain quarters (not that you should care but I'm just letting you know)

You write really well and with obv knowledge about the game. I shall be back (as will, hopefully soon, Gabriel Heinze)

Jen said...

Thanks, glad you like the blog! Even in Canada, the frown on supporting both United and Liverpool, but I figure we're all about the divided loyalties.

And god, yes, can Heinze come back soon? Because neither Evra nor Silvestre is exactly confidence-inspiring at leftback.