Monday, April 16, 2007

Premiership Weekend Roundup: April 14-15

I watched Liverpool against Man City on Saturday, which made it the second game in a row where they've bored the crap out of me. I didn't expect City to score, seeing as they have the second-worst offence in the league (behind only Watford), but I kind of hoped Liverpool might do better. I suppose they're resting up for the Champions League semi-final against Chelsea, but come on. I think one of their best chances was actually from Xabi Alonso shooting from his own half again. And I do kind of love that, but it's not exactly the most effective strategy. (I am amused, though, that Steven Gerrard is now a ninja.)

I also attempted to watch Reading v. Fulham on Sunday, but I didn't even manage to stay awake through that one. Although that may be partly due to the massive quantities of alcohol consumed the night before. Still, not the best weekend of Premiership action I've ever seen.

A few notable things from the other games:

  • The bottom of the table is still anyone's guess, but Sheffield United did themselves a big favour with an emphatic win over West Ham that just might keep them up next year.
  • Charlton scored in the 89th minute and thought they'd earned themselves a point against Everton. But then James McFadden went and did this.
  • Cesc Fabregas scored the winner for Arsenal in a crucial victory against Bolton -- his first of the season. I knew I shouldn't have picked him for my fantasy team. (And then he made this face. Heeee.)

Results
Everton 2 - 1 Charlton
Wigan 3 - 3 Tottenham
Arsenal 2 - 1 Bolton
Manchester City 0 - 0 Liverpool
Middlesbrough 1 - 3 Aston Villa
Portsmouth 2 - 1 Newcastle
Reading 1 - 0 Fulham
Sheffield United 3 - 0 West Ham

No comments: