Sunday, August 19, 2007

BOO-YAH.

I normally don't write about my own games here, because I figure that if you're not actually on the team, it's not that interesting. But I wanted to take a moment to brag about the fact that my Friday team clinched the league title this week, with a decisive 4-0 victory over the second-place team. That puts our record at 12 wins and 2 losses, with one game to go. Unfortunately, I doubt that our opponents next week will be forming a guard of honour for us before the game.

Also, I thought it was interesting to read this article commenting on how many different nationalities (17) Sven-Goran Eriksson has put together in the Manchester City team, because we'd been discussing after our game how multicultural our own team is; I think we counted 14 different countries, from a squad of 20 players. So for Premiership teams to be similarly diverse seems...not that unusual, to me.

In news of non-winning, Toronto FC lost 2-0 to Chivas yesterday, and I think I have to stop watching their games unless I'm physically present at the stadium with beer in hand, because otherwise all the yelling and the impotent flailing is much less fun. Unlike the Sportsnet commentary team, who are relentless homers, I just can't seem to get worked up over how much effort the players are putting in if they are simultaneously failing to do simple things like passing to a teammate or putting the ball in the fucking net. (Also, I've decided that I really dislike Sasha Kljestan and his asymmetrical emo-boy bangs.)

No comments: